In my coaching practice, I introduce clients to the A.S.A. approach to habit change – a simple strategy to take the overwhelm out of habit and behaviour change. As we near the holiday season, let’s take a look at how we can use that same approach to minimizing stress and enhancing joy.
The holiday season often brings a mix of joy and stress as we navigate through traditions, social expectations, and the desire for a festive atmosphere. Enter the A.S.A. approach – a simple strategy to cultivate holiday harmony. Here’s are just a few ways you can Add, Subtract, and Adapt for a season filled with joy:
1. Add Joyful Elements: Start by intentionally adding elements that bring you joy. Whether it’s decorating your home, playing festive music, or indulging in your favorite holiday treats, actively incorporate activities that elevate your spirit.
2. Add Acts of Kindness: Spread joy by adding acts of kindness to your holiday routine. This could be volunteering, sending thoughtful messages, or surprising someone with a small gift. Acts of kindness not only bring joy to others but also enhance your own sense of fulfillment.
3. Subtract Unnecessary Stress: Identify stressors that you can subtract from your holiday experience. This could be commitments that don’t align with your priorities or traditions that cause more stress than joy. Give yourself permission to let go of what doesn’t serve you.
4. Subtract Comparison: Subtract the habit of comparing your holiday experience to others. Each person’s journey is unique, and what brings joy to one may not be the same for another. Focus on your own values and create a holiday season that feels authentic to you.
5. Adapt Traditions for Meaning: Instead of rigidly sticking to traditions, consider adapting them to better suit your current circumstances. If a particular tradition causes stress, find a way to adapt it or create new ones that align with your values.
6. Adapt to Changing Circumstances: The holidays may not always look the same, especially during changing circumstances. Adapt gracefully to new situations, whether it’s a change in family dynamics, travel plans, or other unexpected events. Flexibility can be a key to maintaining joy.
By applying the A.S.A. approach, you’re not just navigating the holidays; you’re intentionally creating a season filled with joy and harmony. Add what brings you joy, subtract what causes stress, and adapt traditions for a holiday experience that aligns with your unique values.
Ready to shed the weight of holiday stress and redefine how you approach the holiday season? Join me on December 5th for a special holiday edition of Beyond Diets where we’ll explore how to navigate the holidays with joy, balance, and self-love. Discover practical strategies to nourish your body, mind, and spirit during this festive time. Learn more and register here.